Welcome to geemap¶
A Python package for interactive mapping with Google Earth Engine, ipyleaflet, and ipywidgets.
- GitHub repo: https://github.com/giswqs/geemap
- Documentation: https://geemap.org
- PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/geemap
- Conda-forge: https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/geemap
- 360+ GEE notebook examples: https://github.com/giswqs/earthengine-py-notebooks
- GEE Tutorials on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/QiushengWu
- Free software: MIT license
If you find geemap useful in your research, please consider citing the following papers to support my work. Thank you for your support.
- Wu, Q., (2020). geemap: A Python package for interactive mapping with Google Earth Engine. The Journal of Open Source Software, 5(51), 2305. https://doi.org/10.21105/joss.02305
- Wu, Q., Lane, C. R., Li, X., Zhao, K., Zhou, Y., Clinton, N., DeVries, B., Golden, H. E., & Lang, M. W. (2019). Integrating LiDAR data and multi-temporal aerial imagery to map wetland inundation dynamics using Google Earth Engine. Remote Sensing of Environment, 228, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2019.04.015 (pdf | source code)
Below is a partial list of features available for the geemap package. Please check the examples page for notebook examples, GIF animations, and video tutorials.
- Display Earth Engine data layers for interactive mapping.
- Create split-panel maps with Earth Engine data.
- Retrieve Earth Engine data interactively using the Inspector Tool.
- Interactive plotting of Earth Engine data by simply clicking on the map.
- Convert data format between GeoJSON and Earth Engine.
- Use drawing tools to interact with Earth Engine data.
- Use shapefiles with Earth Engine without having to upload data to one's GEE account.
- Export Earth Engine FeatureCollection to other formats (i.e., shp, csv, json, kml, kmz).
- Export Earth Engine Image and ImageCollection as GeoTIFF.
- Extract pixels from an Earth Engine Image into a 3D numpy array.
- Calculate zonal statistics by group.
- Add a customized legend for Earth Engine data.
- Add animated text to GIF images generated from Earth Engine data.
- Add colorbar and images to GIF animations generated from Earth Engine data.
- Create Landsat timelapse animations with animated text using Earth Engine.
- Search places and datasets from Earth Engine Data Catalog.
- Use timeseries inspector to visualize landscape changes over time.
- Export Earth Engine maps as HTML files and PNG images.
- Search Earth Engine API documentation within Jupyter notebooks.
- Import Earth Engine assets from personal account.
- Publish interactive GEE maps directly within Jupyter notebook.
- Add local raster datasets (e.g., GeoTIFF) to the map.
- Perform image classification and accuracy assessment.
- Extract pixel values interactively and export as shapefile and csv.
I have created a YouTube Channel for sharing geemap tutorials. You can subscribe to my channel for regular updates. If there is any specific tutorial you would like to see, please submit a feature request here.